Friday, February 17, 2017

Week 2

Hi blog readers!
The week started off great because I was able to see yet another patient, still learning new things along the way. I also got this very official looking badge made for me! Sorry that the picture isn't clearer since I took it from my phone. The badge doesn't change much other than the path I take to get to my work area. However, I'm still at the point where I get super excited to scan my badge to get passed all the locked doors.
My very own badge!
Another important development: I was able to start data collection this week!  I now have access to a computer, and will be collecting data for at least the next few weeks. I can't show you what it looks like to navigate through patient medical records to find the data I'm looking for since it has some classified information but I am allowed to show you what my data looked like. Here is a quick snapshot!
Click on this picture to enlarge it!
I think the spreadsheet itself is pretty self explanatory. On it, is the height of the patient, and weights at various stages around the operation. I used Excel to add one hundred days to the date of the transplant so it was easier for me when I was looking through the records. It might look pretty and fun because it's all colorful, but every time there is a color, there is something wrong. I'll briefly discuss some of the majors problems I've faced so far.
Problem #1: Missing Data 
There are many times where the height/weight of a patient was simply not measured or recorded in the patient record upon admission. There have also been times when a patient has recovered rapidly after the transplant and the cancer is in remission. Although a visit back to the hospital one year after the transplant is recommended, it is not mandatory if that patient's health is in good condition. As a result, one year weight is sometimes missing.  This is all missing data I would need to calculate weight loss in terms of BMI. Missing data is signified by an "X" in the spreadsheet.
Problem #2: Early Patient Death
What happens if a patient died prior to their one hundred day or one year checkup? How would we evaluate weight loss then? This is signified by a "D" in the spreadsheet. 
Problem #3: Data Outside of Time Parameter
Patients don't always come exactly one hundred days after transplant or exactly one year after transplant. Therefore, prior to data collection we set some time parameters. Pre-transplant weight could be measured on the day of the transplant or two weeks prior. One hundred day weight could be two weeks before or after the hundredth day (so 86-114 days after the transplant). One year weight could be 11-13 months after the transplant. Obviously, we would always take the closest date to the time we wanted, but there were many times where the closest date did not fall within the time parameter we set. 
Problem #4: Patient Gets Multiple Transplants
Obviously, this would be a major factor when it comes to the reliability of our study population. Patients who get multiple transplants would be in a far worse condition because it means either the first transplant failed or the cancer has relapsed. We should expect that their weight loss would be much more severe and this would skew the overall survival rates, cancer relapse rates, etc.
Conclusion
It's really hard to deal with the issues without collecting all the data first. The goal would be to make the data as clean as possible, but taking out too many patients would make the results unreliable due to a small sample size. I can't resolve these issues until my data collection is complete.
Another thing I wanted to do was spice up the blog a bit by sharing a bit more of the information I've learned about my topic. As a result, I'd like to add a new feature to my blog: a drug of the week! I don't know how I'll format this in yet but I'll have it up sometime by the end of week 3. As a preview, I will reveal the drug of the week for weeks 1 and 2.
Week 1: Prograf
Week 2: Sprycel
If you guys have any suggestions for things you would want added to the blog please post it in the comments!















26 comments:

  1. Dear Justin,
    your project is extremely interesting and I am looking forward to your next post. The table that you used made it easy for me to understand. I was just wondering what do you do when you see patients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, basically before I get to see a patient Dr.Sproat gives me a big background of the patient's medical history and any explanation of the specific disease that patient has. When we actually see the patient, Dr.Sproat lays out the plan for the patient, then checks the patient for any visible effects of the chemotherapy/ side effects of the drugs. On top of listening to her diagnosis/plan, I also get to see any side effects the patient has.

      Delete
  2. Hey Justin, love the badge. I got my own nametag so I know the feeling. Do you have any plans on how you will work around the missing data?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Evan. It's looking like i still have enough data points after omitting the patients who had issues with their data to make the study viable. So to answer your question, I will probably just omit patients with missing data.

      Delete
  3. Hi Justin,
    It's so exciting that you started collecting data. I love how organized and systematic your table is. I wondering how you are going to keep a large sample size and how you are going to calculate the BMI of data outside of the parameter? I am looking forward to next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, like I said with Evan, I still have around three hundred patients who have no issues with their data. Compared to other similar studies, three hundred seems like it's still a viable amount. Therefore, I can just omit patients who have data issues.

      Delete
  4. Hey Justin, I love your table, it makes it much easier to comprehend. However, is there any way to substitute in for the times that the weight wasn't calculated, and to take an estimate based of the trend that was followed previously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew, that's a good idea but sadly weight loss of patients with these cancers isn't really linear and is instead kind of erratic. Their weight could shift massively in just a week if, for example, their chemo dosage is changed. Additionally, every patients responds differently to different treatments. Without following the patient in real time, it's kind of impossible to "predict" a patient's weight at a certain time.

      Delete
  5. Hi Justin,
    Nice badge! I know the feeling. Will these specific factors cause the patients with them(early death, multiple transplants, etc.) to be void from the study? Is there a way to keep them in the study? I like the drug of the week idea. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Akash, please see my responses to Evan/ Michelle if you want more detail but basically I have enough patients with good data so patients with issues will be void from the study.

      Delete
  6. Hi Justin. I like the layout of the table you made, and it helps me understand your project more. I especially liked how you accommodated for any inconveniences that you experienced with your data. I'm looking forward to seeing your project in future weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Justin. I think the drug of the week idea is pretty cool, but could you tell me what are the specific effects of those two drugs and what are their uses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aditya, sorry for the delay. I've been super busy collecting and organizing data! I'll post more information on the drugs ASAP!

      Delete
  8. Hi Justin! Nice job on collecting a lot of data, and looking at aspects that can cause issues. I really like you idea about the Drug of the Week, I like the way you progress in your research, first with interacting with patients, second by collecting data and finally through explanation of the drugs. I can't wait what else you are going to post next!
    For you drug of the week what aspects are you looking for to help you with your own research?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sruthi, I'll make sure to add more information on the drug of the week soon. I've been super busy so I haven't really had time. I need to understand how the drugs work so I might be able to see if they are responsible for weight loss by themselves.

      Delete
  9. How are you planning to analyze all data collected? What controls are you using to compare with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr. Sahu, like I said last week, I will be working with a statistician once I have finished collecting the data and will explore the specifics of the analysis then. I'll get back to you once I get more information.

      Delete
  10. Woohoo! This is super cool Justin! I love that you have your own badge that you can scan to gain access to things, that's so awesome! Also, your data collection seems very organized. Are you inputting this all by hand? If so, is there an easier way to computerize this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren. Yes, I am all inputting this by hand. It's hard to computerize this because these heights/ weights are hidden with specific documents within the patient records. Essentially, pre-transplant, 100 days, and 1 year are the three standard times when hematologists meet with patients and whenever patients are admitted to the hospital their vitals (including height/ weight) are checked. Outside of these three times, the times patients comes in really varies on a patient to patient basis. So sadly no, there is no way to computerize this.

      Delete
  11. Nice work so far on your project Justin! Seems like it is going along quite well! I'm looking forward to what you can do with your workstation and medical information that you've received. I also want to point out how important and efficient it is to have a methodology of locating problems like you have done. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Justin! I am glad that you are able to start collecting data! I was wondering though how are you going to deal with the missing data points?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack, since I have enough patients with good data to make the study viable, I will just omit patients with missing data. For more specifics, see my response to Evan.

      Delete
  13. Hi Justin! It's great to know that you're enjoying your project and I'm also super excited to see that you have a lot of new data. I also liked how you included a table in your post, I think it makes it easier for the reader to understand your data better. Also, I liked the idea of the Drug of the Week, but maybe you could explain the purpose and the function of each drug? Thanks and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie. Sorry for the delay. I'll get more information on the drug of the week up as soon as possible.

      Delete